Architects of Synagogues
in the United Kingdom and Ireland

Part 1 - Surnames A to G


The Jewish architectural works of Cyril Adler include:
● Chelsea Synagogue - 1958-59, new synagogue at 1 Smith Terrace, Smith Street, Chelsea, London SE3 on the site of previous synagogue. (The synagogue is still in use.)

Wilfrid CANTWELL. B.Arch
(1921 - 26 December 2000)

Wilfrid Cantwell, Dublin architect, was president of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland in 1966 and 1967.
His only known Jewish architectural work is:
● Terenure Hebrew Congregation (later Dublin Hebrew Congregation) - 1952-53, synagogue at 32a Rathfarnham Road, Terenure, Dublin. (The synagogue is still in use.)

(1833, London - 13 December 1905, London)

The Jewish architectural works of Hyman Henry Collins include:
● Western Synagogue - 1857, repairs to the synagogue at St. Alban's Place, Haymarket, London SW1. (The synagogue was in use until 1914 and was subsequently demolished. The site is now part of the Carlton Theatre in the Haymarket.) ;
● Bryanston Street (Sephardic) Synagogue - 1862-63, synagogue at Bryanston Street, London W1. (The synagogue was in use until 1896.);
● Southampton Hebrew Congregation - 1864-65, synagogue at Albion Place, High Street, Southampton, Hampshire.  (The synagogue was demolished in 1964.);
● Chatham Memorial Synagogue - 1866-70, synagogue at 366 High Street, Rochester, Kent. Designated a Grade II* Listed Building in 1985. (The synagogue is still in use.);
● Borough New Synagogue - 1867, original synagogue at Heygate Street (Vowler Street), Walworth Road, London SE17. (The synagogue was in use until 1927.);
London's East End - 1868, Soup Kitchen for Jewish Poor at Fashion Street, London E1 (The builing was replaced in 1902.);
● North London Synagogue - 1868, synagogue at Lofting Road (formerly John Street West), Barnsbury, Islington, London N1. (The synagogue was demolished post-1958.);
● Bristol Hebrew Congregation - 1871, synagogue at 9 Park Row, Bristol. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 2012. (The synagogue is still in use.);
● Synagogue in Liverpool - 1872, design of synagogue (not yet identified); and
● St John's Wood Synagogue - 1880, synagogue in Abbey Road, St John's Wood, London NW8. Designated a Grade II listed building in 1989. (The synagogue escaped demolition in 1964 to become the New London Synagogue, the UK Masorti movement's founding synagogue, and is still in use.)

Henry David DAVIS
(1839 - 1915)

Henry David Davis was one of the first Jews to practice architecture in Britain, often in partnership with Barrow EMANUEL.

Barrow EMANUEL, MA (Dublin), ARIBA
(4 February 1842, Portsmouth - 14 February 1904, London)
Barrow Emanuel was the son of Emanuel Emanuel (d. 1888), the first Jewish mayor of Portsmouth and the brother of Lady (Kate) Magnus, wife of Sir Philip Magnus.

The Jewish architectural works of Barrow Emanuel (with partner, Henry David Davis, in the firm of Davis and Emanuel) include:
● West London (Reform) Synagogue - 1867-70, synagogue at 34 Upper Berkeley Street, London W1. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 1989. (The synagogue is still in use.);
● East London Synagogue - 1876, synagogue at Temple Court, 52 Rectory Square, Stepney Green, London E1. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 1988. (The synagogue closed and was sold in 1987 and has been converted to apartments.); and
● Lauderdale Road Synagogue - 1896-97, synagogue at Lauderdale Road, Maida Vale, London W9. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 1989. (The synagogue is still in use.)

Cecil Jacob EPRILE (later EPRIL), FRIBA
(11 March 1897, Edinburgh - 19 January 1982, Chichester)

The Jewish architectural works of Cecil Jacob Eprile include:
● South-East London Synagogue - 1921, design of the gates to the Aron Kodesh and (1922) the war memorial of the synagogue at New Cross Road, New Cross, London SE14. (The synagogue was in use until destroyed in a German air raid in 1940.);
● East Ham and Manor Park Synagogue - 1926-27, new synagogue at 12 Carlyle Road, Manor Park, London E12 on the site of previous synagogue. (The synagogue closed in 1978 and is now a Sikh gurdwara (temple) and community centre.);
● Cricklewood Synagogue - 1930-31, synagogue at 131 Walm Lane, Cricklewood, London NW2. (The synagogue closed and was sold in 1989 and was converted to apartments.);
● Hackney Synagogue - 1936, extension of existing synagogue at 20 Brenthouse Road (previously Princess Road), Mare Street, Hackney, London E9. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 2009. (The synagogue closed and the building was sold in 2009 to become a Brazilian Pentecostalist Church.); and
● Cambridge Synagogue - 1937 (with R.J. Hersh), synagogue at 3 Thompson's Lane (formerly known as Ellis Court), Cambridge. (The synagogue is still in use.)

(d. 2001)

Alexander Flinder's underwater military experience during World War II and his interest in classical architecture led him to become one of Britainís pioneers of underwater archaeology. His underwater investigations over a period of twenty years around Israel's shorelines led to the publication of his book: Secrets of the Bible Seas: An Underwater Archaeologist in the Holy Land (1986).
His Jewish architectural works include:
● Pinner Synagogue - 1979-81, new synagogue at I Cecil Park, Pinner, Middlesex, on site of previous synagogue. (The synagogue is still in use.)

Ernst L. FREUD
(6 April 1892, Vienna - 7 February 1970, London)

Ernst Freud was born in Vienna, the youngest son of the renowned psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud. He studied arcitecture in Vienna but later moved to Berlin. Following the Nazi rise to power in 1933, he made his way to Britain, settling in St John's Wood, London. He had three sons: Stephen Gabriel Freud (1921-2015), an ironmonger; Lucian Freud (1922-2011), painter; and Clement Freud (1924-2009), politician and broadcaster.
His Jewish architectural works include:
● Golders Green Cemetery & Crematorium, London NW11 - the marble plinth on which the urn containing the ashes of his father, Sigmund Freud, was placed; and
● London Jewish Hospital Synagogue - 1956, synagogue (oratory) in the hospital at 1 Beaumont Square, Stepney Green, London E1. (The hospital site, including the synagogue, was sold in 1979 and redeveloped as a private clinic - the London Independent Hospital.)

Delissa Joseph
Marcus K. Glass

Marcus Kenneth GLASS, FRIBA
(7 March 1887, Riga - 31 January 1932, Newcastle upon Tyne)

Latvian born Marcus Kenneth Glass (born Yekusiel Glaz) came to Britain as a child in the 1890s and settled with his family in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. After study, he practised as an architect in Newcastle from 1914.
His Jewish architectural works include:
● Jesmond Hebrew Congregation - 1914-15, the synagogue at Eskdale Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne. (The synagogue closed in 1986 and converted internally into a school.);
● Ravensworth Terrace Synagogue - 1924-25, the synagogue at 6-8 Ravensworth Terrace (off Westgate Road), Newcastle upon Tyne. (The synagogue closed in 1969 and the building was sold to a missionary group.);
● Sunderland Hebrew Congregation - 1928, the synagogue in Ryhope Road, Sunderland. Designated a Grade II Listed Building in 1999. (The synagogue closed in 2006 with the intention of converting the building into flats.);
● Hove Hebrew Congregation - 1930, the synagogue at 79 Holland Road, Hove, Brighton, Sussex. (The synagogue closed in 2023.);
● Clapton Federation Synagogue - 1932, synagogue at 47 Lea Bridge Road, Clapton, London E5. (The synagogue closed in 2005 and the building demolished in 2006.); and
● South Shields Hebrew Congregation - 1932, initial design of rebuilt synagogue at 14 Ogle Terrace (later 25 Beach Road), South Shields, Tyne & Wear (project completed by J.A. Page & Son). (The synagogue closed in 1994 and was converted into an arts studio.)

Footnotes    ( returns to main text)

  1. The abbreviations following each entry indicate the source or sources (as listed on the contents page) for the architectural works of the relevant architect. Note: Other data has been extracted from general online research.

View Synagogue Architects whose surnames begin with:

Synagogue Architects Contents Page

Return to the top of the page

Page created: 25 April 2024
Page most recently amended: 23 May 2024

Research and formatting by David Shulman

Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:

JGSGB  JewishGen

Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.

Copyright © 2002 - 2024 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved