Chasidey Bobov d'Ohel Naphtoli Beth Hamedresh

and Yeshiva Bnei Zion Beth Hamedresh

Stamford Hill, London N16





JCR-UK is a genealogical and historical website covering all Jewish communities and
congregations throughout the British Isles and Gibraltar, both past and present.
NOTE: We are not the official website of this congregation.

Egerton Road Chesidei Bobov Synagogue

Kehal Chasidey Bobov Beth Hamedrash's Egerton Road Synagogue
© David Newman 2017

 Congregation Data

Current Name

Kehal Chasidey Bobov Beth Hemedrash

Alternative Names

Commencing about 2005, the Congregation is also sometimes referred to as Chasidey Bobov D'Ohel Naphtoli Beth Hemedrash (including Yeshiva Bnei Zion Beth Hemedrash)(i), although Ohel Naphtoli is actually the name of only one part of the building complex.(ii)

Former Names

Beth Hemedrash Ohel Naphtoli (Bobov) (until about 2005)(iii)

Beth Hemedrash Ohel Naphtoli (until early 1990's)(iv)

Current Address:

The main Beth Hamedrash is at 87 Egerton Road(v), Stamford Hill, London N16 6UD. (The postal code for the old Beth Hamedrash and Yeshiva is N16 6UE and the postal code for the School N16 6UB.)

This is the former New Synagogue building, designed by architect Ernest M. Joseph,(vi) situated at the eastern end of Egerton Road, on the south side of the road, and was purchased in 1987 by the Babov Community Centre from the United Synagogue. The Bobov congregation (Beth Hemedrash Ohel Naphtoli) had, however, been using the Egerton Road building since at least 1980.

The synagogue, together with attached school, is a Grade II Listed Building (number 1264873), designated on 27 September 1991. View description on Historic England website.

Former Addresses:(vii)

1-7 Darenth Road, Stamford Hill, London N16 (from about 1972 until about 1981)

5 Darenth Road, Stamford Hill, London N16 (from about 1963 until about 1972)

4 Darenth Road, Stamford Hill, London N16 (until about 1963)


Bobov is a Chasidic group originating in Bobowa, Galicia (now Southern Poland), now headquartered in the neighbourhood of Borough Park, Brooklyn, New York. It follows the teachings of the First Bobover Rebbe, Grand Rabbi Shlomo Halberstam (1847-1905) and his descendants.

The congregation follows the leadership of the Fifth Bobover Rebbe, Grand Rabbi Ben Zion Aryeh Leibish Halberstam of Borough Park, who was the half-brother of the Fourth Bobover Rebbe, Grand Rabbi Naftali Tzvi Halberstam and the son of the Third Bobover Rebbe.(viii)  (The congregation should not be confused with Chasidey Bobov-45 Beth Hamedrash of Clapton Common, which follows the leadership of the son-in-law of the Fourth Bobover Rebbe.)

Current Status:


Date Formed:

About 1962(ix)


Ashkenazi Strictly Orthodox - Chassidish


A synagogue associated with the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations (UOHC)(x).


Rabbi Dayan Ben Zion Blum (a son-in-law of Grand Rabbi Naftali Tzvi Halberstam, the Third Bobover Rebbe) - from at least 1983 to present (July 2020)(xi).

Membership Data:

National Reports and Surveys (xii)

1983 - 55 male (or household) members

1990 - 80 members (13 households)

1996 - 108 members (100 households and 8 individual females)

2010 and 2016 - congregation listed but details of membership not provided.

Charitable Status:

The congregation has an associate registered charity (no. 278823) registered under the name Kahal Chassidim Bobov. The governing document is a Declaration of Trust dated 16 August 1978.(xiii)

Local Government District:

Stamford Hill and Amhurst Park are now in the London Borough of Hackney, and were previously (until 1965) in the somewhat smaller former Metropolitan Borough of Hackney.(xiv)

Registration District (BMD):

Hackney (since founding of congregation) - Link to Register Office website


For Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations cemeteries, see Cemeteries of the UOHC

Notes & Sources ( returns to text above)

  • (i) This is the name that appears in Jewish Year Books from 2006.

  • (ii) As advised by a member of the congregation in January 2016. 

  • (iii) This is the name under which the congregation is listed in Jewish Year Books 1984 through 2005. 

  • (iv) This is the name under which the congregation is listed in Jewish Year Books to 1983. 

  • (v) The Egerton Road address first appears as an address for the congregation in the Jewish Year Book 1982 (the number 87 being first added in the 1987 edition) Egerton Road (about 900 feet long) runs east from the road Stamford Hill, just to the north of, and parallel with, Clapton Common. 

  • (vi) The Synagogues of London by Paul Lindsay, 1993, p.89. To view a description of the Jewish architectural works by E.M. Joseph, hold your cursor over his name

  • (vii) The congregation initially appears in the Jewish Year Book (1963) with its address at 4 Darenth Road. From the 1964 edition the address is given as number 5 and from 1973 until 1981, the address is 1-7 Darenth Road. Darenth Road, approximately 900 feet long, runs north-south, parallel with the road Stamford Hill some 500 feet to its east. 

  • (viii) As advised by a member of the congregation in January 2016. 

  • (ix) Based upon the Congregation congregation's first listing in the Jewish Year Book 1963. 

  • (x) Jewish Year Book 1963 to 2015. 

  • (xi) Dayan Blum is listed as rabbi of the congregation in all the Jewish Year Book from 1984 until publication ceased in 2015. He was still Rabbi of the congregation according to the GoDaven website, last accessed 27 July 2020. 

  • (xii) Reports on synagogue membership in the United Kingdom, published by or on behalf of the Board of Deputies of British Jews and which can be viewed on the website of the Institute of Jewish Policy Research. Click HERE for links to the various reports.

  • (xiii) Charities Commissioners' website (during beta test stage), accessed 22 August 2018.

  • (xiv) The London Borough of Hackney, an Inner London Borough within the Greater London administrative area, was created on 1 April 1965 upon the merger of the former Metropolitan Borough of Hackney with the smaller Metropolitan Boroughs of Stoke Newington and Shoreditch. These metropolitan boroughs (each established in 1900) had been within the (then abolished) County of London (established in 1899).


Bibliography, On-line Articles and Other Material
relating to this Congregation


List of UOHC Congregations

Street Directory of Congregations in Stamford Hill, Hackney and Neighbourhood

Jewish Congregations in the London Borough of Hackney

Jewish Congregations in Greater London

Greater London home page

Page created: 3 June 2007
Data significantly expanded and notes added: 12 January 2016
Page most recently amended: 9 May 2024

Research and formatting by David Shulman

Explanation of Terms   |   About JCR-UK  |   JCR-UK home page

Contact JCR-UK Webmaster:
(Note: This is to contact JCR-UK, not the above Congregation)

JGSGB  JewishGen

Terms and Conditions, Licenses and Restrictions for the use of this website:

This website is owned by JewishGen and the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain. All material found herein is owned by or licensed to us. You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your own personal use. You may not post material from this site on another website without our consent. You may not transmit or distribute material from this website to others. You may not use this website or information found at this site for any commercial purpose.

Copyright © 2002 - 2024 JCR-UK. All Rights Reserved