
Congregation Data |
Name: |
United Synagogue - Sheffield from 1 April 2015(ii)
(also known simply as the Kingfield Synagogue)
|
Former Names: |
Sheffield Jewish Congregation and Centre
from about 1994(iii) (initially known as
the United Hebrew Congregation, Sheffield or the United Sheffield Hebrew Congregation)(iv)
|
Current Address: |
The Kingfield Centre, Psalter Lane
(corner of Brincliffe Crescent), Nether Edge, Sheffield S11 8UX, from January 2000.
The synagogue, built next to the Jewish community centre, Kingfield Hall, was consecrated by Chief Rabbi
Jonathan Sacks on 19 March 2000.(v) |
Previous Address: |
11 Wilson Road, Ecclesall, Sheffield S11 8RN, (which had been the address of the
Sheffield Hebrew Congregation from 3 April 1930).
For details of Jewish Heritage Site listings, see
here.
The synagogue closed in 1997 became the "City Church" in 2000.(x) |
Current Status: |
Active |
Formation: |
The congregation was formed on the merger on 1 April 1953 of the city's two Jewish congregations, the
Sheffield Hebrew Congregation and the
Sheffield Central Hebrew Congregation.(xi)
The agreement to merge was ratified by Sheffield Hebrew Congregation on
10 March 1953 and by Sheffield Central Hebrew Congregation on 3 March
1953.(xii) |
Ritual: |
Ashkenazi Orthodox |
Affiliation: |
On 1 April 2015, the Congregation joined the
United Synagogue
as a full member,(xiii)
the first community based outside London and the Home Counties to become a member of the
organisation since it was founded in 1870.(xiv) Previously,
it was provincial synagogue under the aegis of the Chief Rabbi. |
Website: |
http://www.jewishsheffield.org.uk |
Ministers:
(To view a short profile of a minister or reader - hold the cursor over his name.)
|
Rabbi Isaac Chait
- from the 1953 merger until 1972, having been minister of the Sheffield Hebrew
Congregation from 1951(xviii)
Rev. Abraham Brysh
- reader and assistant minister from 1969 until about 1975 and then
minister until 1986(xix)
Rev. David Katanka
- from 1985 until 1990(xx)
Rev. Eli Kohn
- from 1990 until 1991(xxi)
Rabbi Yonosan Golomb
- from 1992 until present (February 2022)(xxii)
|
Readers (Chazanim):
|
Rev. Joshua Louis Kahn
- first reader from the 1953 merger until 1959, having been reader of the Sheffield Hebrew
Congregation from 1914(xxvi)
Rev. Cecil Donn
- second reader from the 1953 merger until 1970, having been second reader of the Sheffield Hebrew
Congregation from about 1938(xxvii)
Rev. Stanley Brickman
- first reader from 1959 until 1965(xxviii)
Rev. Abraham Brysh - see above |
Lay Officers: |
Unless otherwise indicated, the information below on the congregation's officers has been extracted from
the list of officers appearing in the souvenir brochure commemorating the Wilson Street synagogue's Golden Jubilee (1930-1980).(xxxii) |
Presidents(xxxiii)
1953 - Lord Morris of Kenwood(xxxiv)
1953-1955 - Max Waldenberg
1955-1958 - Jack Cohen, JP
1958-1960 - Jack Newman
1960-1964 - Bernard Miller, LLB
1964-1967 - Bernard Cohen
1967-1970 - Cyril Cantor
1970-1974 - A.E. Isaacs
1974-1977 - Maurice Sill
1977-1978 - A.E. Isaacs
1978-1979 - Jack Newman
1979-1980 - Maurice Lewis
Vice Presidents(xxxv)
1953 - Max Waldenberg
1954-1955 - Jack Cohen & Abe Silver
|
Treasurers
1953-1958 - Jack Newman
1958-1960 - Bernard Miller
1960-1964 - Cyril Cantor
1964-1967 - A. Levy
1967-1970 - W. Black
1970-1973 - G. Fyne
1973-1976 - H. Freeda
1976-1980 - Malcolm Moore
Hon. Secretaries
1953-1958 - Bernard Miller LLB
1958-1962 - S. Coates
1962-1964 - S. Coates & H. Simons
1964-1968 - H. Simons & M.N. Mass
1968-1969 - H. Simons & M. Ferner
1969-1983 - Norman Bronks & A. Simons(xxxviii)
1983-1985 - Norman Bronks(xxxviii)
1985-1993 - J. Korklin(xxxviii) |
Membership Data: |
Reports & Survey(xxxix)
1977 - 336 male (or household) members and 95 female members
1983 - 289 male (or household) members and 145 female members
1990 - 345 members (households)
1996 - 256 members (comprising 110 households, 61 individual male and 85 individual female members)
2016 - listed as having 200 to 299 members (by household) |
Charitable Status: |
As a constituent of the United Synagogue, the congregation operates within that organisation's registered charity status (registered charity no. 242552).
Prior to joining the United Synagogue, the congregation operated as a
registered charity (no 250281), under the name Sheffield Jewish
Congregation and Centre, (and previously under the name
United Sheffield Hebrew Congregation)registered on 3 March
1967.(xl) |
Cemetery
Information: |
The Congregation uses the
Ecclesfield Jewish Cemetery. See Cemetery Information on
Sheffield Jewish Community home page. |