Jewish Chronicle, 3 June 1955
The synagogue at Welwyn Garden City, the foundation-stone of which was laid on Sunday, is claimed to be
the first to be built in the new towns which have sprung up in the Home Counties. The ceremony was performed by Mr. Simon Lichtigfeld,
Senior Warden of the congregation, and the service was conducted by Rabbi Dr. H. Rabinowicz, of the
DoIIis Hill Synagogue, who was assisted by the Rev. J. Kaufman, Minister of the Welwyn congregation.
The local community which now numbers about 50, have raised almost half the money required,
the United Synagogue lending the rest.
Jewish Chronicle, 16 August 1991
Welwyn Garden City's minister, the Rev Julian Klein, has resigned. from his position with immediate effect...Mr Klein, a former religious education teacher
at JFS Comprehensive School, had been headmaster of the cheder for six years, and part-time
minister for four years. He teaches at the Kisharon Day School, a school for Jewish children with special educational needs in Golders Green.
Jewish Chronicle, 23 June 2006
Members of the Ilford United Synagogue congregation voted overwhelmingly in favour of
appointing Belfast-born Rabbi Hyman, 53, who is currently part-time rabbi at Welwyn Garden City and a part-time landscape gardener.
Jewish Chronicle, 18 May 2018
Yakov and Eliana Tatz are Welwyn Garden City’s new rabbinic couple, their appointment having
been approved unanimously by members on Sunday. They have recently moved back to the UK
from Israel with their three young children and are expected to start their duties next month.
Return to congregation page
Page created: 8 June 2022
Page most recently amended: 9 June 2022
Research by Steven Jaffe
Formatting by David Shulman