The Jeff Malka Sephardic Collection
La voix d’Israel, Oran (1914-1923)
This monthly newspaper has been published by the Jewish Community Council of Oran, Algeria. The Library of the Alliance Israelite Universelle in Paris holds a partial collection that has been scanned by M. Evyatar Chelouche from Israel. We thank him very much for letting us index these historical pages of genealogical value.
The journal includes all kinds of information that cover:
- Soldiers, natives of Oran and the environment, who were fighting on the various fronts in Europe.
- Announcements of birth
- Boys celebrating their Bar Mitzva.
- Couples getting married
- Announcements about people who died
- Students and pupils who got a special award
- Members of various committees
- Donors for not only the needy part of the local community, but also for the relief of the Jewish victims of the Saloniki great fire as well as for the welfare of the Jerusalem Misgav Ladakh hospital.
It’s moving to read how some people donated a lonely franc, but made the mitzvah to donate for their brothers more unfortunate than them.
A total of 2,175 names have been indexed from twenty-nine journal issues.
We acknowledge the tremendous contributions and lifelong dedication of Mathilde Tagger, z"l who made this index available. For many years, and right until her untimely death, Mathilde Tagger was a very close friend and collaborator with Jeff Malka. Together they worked to promote Sephardic genealogy research and educate the public about its enormous potential.
In addition, we express our grateful appreciation to Dr. Jeff Malka for his monumental ongoing effort to collect and make accessible Sephardic genealogical information, and for his generosity in contributing his extraordinarily valuable collection to JewishGen.
Search the Database
This collection can be searched by via the JewishGen Algeria Database, the JewishGen Jeff Malka Collection or the JewishGen Sephardic Collection