52°33' / 21°54'
Translation of
Stoczek chapter from
Pinkas Hakehillot Polin
Published by Yad Vashem
Published in Jerusalem
Our sincere appreciation to Yad Vashem for permission
to put this material on the JewishGen web site.
This is a translation from: Pinkas Hakehillot: Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities, Poland,
Volume VII, pages 343-344, published by Yad Vashem, Jerusalem
JewishGen, Inc. makes no representations regarding the accuracy of
the translation. The reader may wish to refer to the original material
for verification.
JewishGen is not responsible for inaccuracies or omissions in the original work and cannot rewrite or edit the text to correct inaccuracies and/or omissions.
Our mission is to produce a translation of the original work and we cannot verify the accuracy of statements or alter facts cited.
[Page 344]
(Called by Jews: Stok) (Węgrów District, Lublin Region)
Translated by Jerrold Landau
Year | General Population |
Jews |
1856 | 607 | 228 |
1897 | 1,421 | 864 |
1921 | 1,636 | 1,221 |
Stoczek is first mentioned in a document from the year 1547 as a diocesan town that was closed off to Jews. Jews could only visit it with a special permit on the annual fair days. In 1856, there were already
[Page 345]
228 Jews living there. Their number grew after the Russian Czar repealed the restrictions on Jewish settlement throughout Congress Poland in 1862. Most of the Jewish settlers came from villages and towns in the region. They earned their livelihoods from commerce and trade.
There was an organized community in the second half of the 19th century, with a Beis Midrash and a cemetery. The growth of the community also continued in the 20th century, as many Hassidim came to Stoczek. At the beginning of the 20th century, there were already shtibels of the Hassidim of Aleksander, Radzymin, and Skierniewice.
From among the rabbis of Stoczek, we know of Rabbi Yaakov Yehuda HaKohen, the author of Veshav Hakohen (Warsaw 1879), Rabbi Shlomo Yehuda Leib Alberstein (approximately from 1881 until 1930), and his son-in-law Rabbi Shmuel Leib Kantor, who served the community from 1930 until its destruction (he perished in the Holocaust).
The Jews of Stoczek preserved their traditional sources of livelihood small-scale business and trade even after the end of the First World War. In order to rehabilitate their businesses during that era of economic recession, the Jews opened their own network of mutual aid the union of Jewish tradespeople, two co-operative loan funds, a branch of the Bank Ha'amami [People's Bank] (founded in 1927 with a foundation of 2,000 zloty and 100 members), and Bank Hasocharim [Merchants' Bank] (founded in 1931). Due to the assistance of those institutions, many small-scale business owners were saved from bankruptcy and the need to liquidate their businesses, especially during the years of the 1928-1936 economic depression. The traditional organizations for support and aid, such as Linat Tzedek [providing for the homeless], and Bikur Cholim [tending to the sick] also continued their activities. The Jews of the nearby villages also affiliated with the communal organization. Two of the five members of the communal council were chosen from among them.
Throughout that period, Stoczek retained the character of a religious and Hassidic city, but the youth became increasingly involved in Zionism. During the 1920s, there was an active chapter of the left leaning Poalei Tzion in the town. In 1930, chapters of Mizrachi, Hechalutz, the Hashomer Hatzair youth movement (in 1929) and Beitar were founded. From among the non-Zionist left, there was a local chapter of the Bund, as well as activists of the Communist movement, which was illegal during that period. There was also a chapter of Agudas Yisroel in Stoczek.
There were five cheders and a Beis Yaakov girls' school, founded by Agudas Yisrael, in the town. Many of the children of the community already studied in the Polish elementary school. They were exempt from classes on Sabbaths and Jewish holidays.
The increasing anti-Semitism in Poland during the late 1930s also left its mark upon Stoczek. Locally there was vibrant publicity for the anti-Jewish economic boycott. The local priest, Lewicki, was the head activist. During the weekly market day on August 23, 1937, the farmers from the villages of the area attacked the Jews, overturned and destroyed their stalls, scattered and pillaged their merchandise, and left behind forty-two wounded people.
Stoczek was conquered by the Germans at the beginning of September 1939. Immediately after they arrived, the German soldiers set the Jewish houses on fire, stole property, and captured Jews from the street and houses for forced labor. Approximately two hundred Jewish youths were sent to the Chojni labor camp. The Germans appointed a Judenrat at the end of 1939. At that time, they also issued new edicts: the Jews were obligated to wear a white armband with a Magen David, and they had to move to the ghetto with several families in each dwelling. The crowding and hunger left their mark, and infectious diseases quickly spread, taking many victims.
The large aktion took place in Stoczek on September 22, 1942. S.S. men from the outside, along with Polish police officers, surrounded the town, removed the Jews from their houses, and concentrated them in the market square. When they all gathered, they marched the Jews on foot to nearby Parysów (see entry). Approximately one hundred elderly, ill, and weak people who could not manage the distance by walking were shot to death along the way. The Jews were transported to the Treblinka death camp by train from the Parysów railway station. Several youths escaped from the train, but most were captured by the farmers and turned over to the Germans. Only a few survived and succeeded in witnessing the liberation.
Bibliography
Yad Vashem Archives M1 / E / 2450; 03 / 3058
Atz'M [Central Zionist Archives] Z4/3003-IV
Heint, June 25, 1930, January 28, 1931
Yizkor Book Project
JewishGen Home Page
Copyright © 1999-2025 by JewishGen, Inc.
Updated 30 Mar 2025 by JH